Greene Lyon Group was founded in 2010, dedicated to developing sustainable technology for recovering precious metals from populated circuit boards. In 2012, the company achieved this goal, and has since created numerous sustainable technologies for recycling precious metals.
Most recent among Greene Lyon’s innovations is the PM-STRIPTM process, a sustainable alternative to smelting, a technique used for nearly four centuries that combines heat and melting to extract silver, copper, and other precious alloys from scrap metal. The PM-STRIPTM process provides a cleaner, more efficient alternative to smelting, by using a chemical solution to strip and recover plated silver from substrates, so they can be molded into higher value Greene SilverTM products.
In May, Greene Lyon prepared to install new equipment and begin commercializing the PM-STRIPTM process under its operating entity, Ohio Metal Processing (OMP); this Included integrating a Jessup Systems hoist and controls to help ensure smooth operation of the new process.
- With the PM-STRIPTM process proving to be highly efficient in terms of environmental safety, Greene Lyon sought to achieve an equally effective process speed.
- Greene Lyon wanted to ensure the PM-STRIPTM process provided a safer work environment for operators than traditional smelting.
- Greene Lyon needed their equipment installed in both a prompt and thorough manner so they could begin commercial operations.
- Greene Lyon partnered with Jessup Systems for the design and installation of a heavy-duty sidearm hoist with the capacity to lift and submerge more than 2,700 lbs. of scrap metal per hour. OMP’s Chief Operating Officer, Conor Dullaghan, described the intricate design process of their high-efficiency hoist, saying, “As a startup, Jessup had a genuine interest in working with us and helping to improve our early designs based on their vast collective experience. They ultimately delivered a first-class product.”
- Jessup Systems worked with OMP/Greene Lyon to develop a fully programable controls system for the sidearm hoist. The controls were installed to minimize manual labor and enhance safety by allowing operators to manage the equipment from a safe distance. “Greene Lyon placed particular emphasis on operator safety, and to their credit, Jessup delivered a robust, cost-effective solution,” said, Dullaghan.
- To create a minimally disruptive installation process for the sidearm hoist, Jessup Systems’ engineers developed a unique frame design that required no positioning outside of simply lining the system up and bolting it down.
- Using the Jessup Systems controls, OMP has successfully operated the hoist from a safe distance, helping to create a far-less labor-intensive stripping process than smelting.
- The Jessup Systems hoist was manufactured for an installation period of less than one week and has since been successful in moving scrap metal though the PM-STRIPTM
- As Greene Lyon prepares to partner with Jessup Systems on a second generation PM-STRIPTM project, Dullaghan says he looks forward to collaborating on an ongoing basis.