KOCH Finishing Systems works with trusted design and infrastructure partners to deliver effective Balance-of-Plant solutions.
Our team helps determine balance of plant needs by performing detailed analyses of the following client provided materials:
- Detailed survey of existing equipment and conditions
- Specifications, operating parameters, and procedures
- Production basis
- Operating hours/shifts per day, week, year
- Specification Analysis needed for the development of new process lines
- Preliminary Process Chemistry and Materials of Construction Schedule
- Production Sequence Diagrams
- Process Block Flow Diagrams
Conceptual Design Engineering
We develop the conceptual information necessary to understand the projects scope and determine cost for conceptual design and engineering (35% design).
- Lay-out drawing
- Workflow diagram
- Elevation views
- Controls design concept
- Description of scope for WWTP, mechanical, and electrical systems
- Preliminary schedule and procurement plan with project work breakdown structure (WBS)
- Price to complete Project development design engineering of process equipment
- Price to complete itemized cost of the process equipment
With the help of experienced design partners, KOCH Finishing Systems conducts a walk-though site assessment and review of existing facility drawings, electrical distribution systems, structural supports, civil foundations, and mechanical systems.
Assessment deliverables include: a matrix of existing facility utilities and plant equipment with a write-up of scope, a range of magnitude (ROM) cost estimate for the infrastructure scope, a quote for a 3D facility scan, and a fee proposal for project development.
Project Scope Development
KOCH Finishing Systems’ design partner completes a 3D facility scan to model foundations, superstructure, mechanical systems, HVAC systems, electrical distribution, Internal P&IDs, and flow diagram models for mechanical systems.
Our team then coordinates a BIM plan and corresponding 3D model of the process equipment design and infrastructure scope.
Project Scope Development Deliverables
- Preliminary functional descriptions and specification for all mechanical systems including WWTP
- Demolition drawings with notes to define demolition scope and notes for sequence and temporary work to coordinate with new scope of work
- Preliminary equipment model piping routes
- Preliminary plant mechanical system controls design
- Budgetary costs for all new plant equipment
- Preliminary electrical one-lines
- Preliminary conduit routs above 2” conduit
- Preliminary equipment schedules for all mechanical and electrical equipment
- Preliminary plan view drawings with notes for all structural, mechanical, and electrical systems
- Fee proposal for 100% design documents organized by the project WBS to coordinate with construction bid packages
- Project execution strategy with a detailed procurement plan for all critical infrastructure components and equipment
This 100% design scope includes all 3D model management as per the BIM Plan
With the process equipment and infrastructure coordinated, 35% of the infrastructure design is complete along with associated budgets and bid packages; clients are then given the option to proceed with infrastructure procurement and implementation.
KOCH Finishing Systems can add construction management to our project delivery scope. As we manufacture the finishing equipment, our combined design and construction team completes all construction documents and executes the infrastructure scope. This side-by-side, open-book approach mitigates scope gaps, enhances coordination, and reduces combined project timelines.